Learning what to expect for your visit to the Garden will help enrich your experience, help protect our carefully tended Garden spaces, and help all visitors enjoy this enchanted space in harmony.
- Stay on approved paths. Do not walk on moss or step into raked sand gardens.
- Silence your cell phone and refrain from talking on it in the Garden.
- No food or beverages, aside from water.
- No smoking, including vaping.
- No pets, only trained service animals.
- Do not touch or attempt to feed the koi.
- No paints, inks, or other staining pigments.
PLAN YOUR DAY AT THE GARDEN
We encourage you to allow time to fully immerse yourself in the cultural experience. For inspiration for your visit, please enjoy the following video: “A Day at the Garden”
For more resources to help guide your planning, please visit our Visitor FAQs.
We are honored that professionals and amateurs alike find inspiration at the Portland Japanese Garden. To keep the Garden an accessible and enjoyable experience for all visitors, please be considerate when photographing the Garden by following these policies:
- Please do not block garden views, pathways, or elements for extended periods.
- Please do not disrupt the gardeners as they work.
- The Garden does not allow portrait photography (e.g., engagement, wedding, graduation, or head shot photos).
- There is a $10.00/person charge for using a tripod for anyone who is not a Garden Member.
- Entities wishing to shoot still or video photography for commercial use must submit a Photography and Video Shoot Application.
As a non-profit organization we ask everyone who wishes to use images they take of the Garden for commercial purposes to purchase a Photographer Membership.
For information about a Photographer Membership, please click here.