The Garden is located in the west hills of Portland, Oregon, directly above the International Rose Test Garden in Washington Park at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97205
Garden Shuttle Service
The Garden Shuttle runs every 15 minutes during regular Garden Hours.
Avoid Parking Hassles. Come By Mass Transit.
Year-round, the Garden is served by TriMet bus #63 which connects to the MAX stations at the Oregon Zoo and Providence Park.
Or you can take the Red or Blue line MAX train to the Washington Park stop (aka, the Zoo) and then take a free Explore Washington Park shuttle to the Garden.
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle
From April through October, Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle links the Portland Japanese Garden to the Washington Park MAX station, as well as the other park attractions.
Frequency: Every 15 minutes
Daily: May-September from 9:30am to 7pm
Weekends: April & October from 9:30am to 5:30pm
Shuttle Route and Stops
- Washington Park MAX Station
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Holocaust Memorial
- Portland Japanese Garden / International Rose Test Garden
- Archery Range
- Vietnam Veterans Memorial
Get directions to the Garden from wherever you are on Google.
From Downtown Portland:
- Take West Burnside for approximately 2.5 miles west toward Washington Park
- Turn left at Tichner Drive and head toward Kingston Avenue
- Turn right on Kingston Avenue and head toward the Garden’s Welcome Center
From U.S. 26 East or West
- Take Exit 72 for Zoo/Forestry Center
- Follow park signs to get to the Portland Japanese Garden
For general information about parking in Washington Park, click here.
Due to the Washington Park Reservoir improvement project, there will be a significant reduction of parking spots around Washington Park. For more information, please click here.
Biketown has officially launched inside Washington Park with two stations: one is designated near the Holocaust Memorial at SW Park Place and the other is located on SW Rose Garden Way.
From July 16-October 31, 2018, you can take a car2go to Washington Park and end your trip there.
Park for free in any available parking space located near 97205 SW Washington Way and enjoy easy access to the Portland Japanese Garden. To visit other areas of the park, including the Oregon Zoo, just hop on the free Explore Washington Park Shuttle that arrives every 15 minutes.
To find and navigate to the Washington Park car2go parking area on a map, click below.
Limited Parking at the Garden During The Following Washington Park Events
- Zoo Twilight Tuesday: 6/19 from 4-8pm, Oregon Zoo
- Peacock in the Park: 6/24 from 12-6pm, Rose Garden Ampitheater
- Oregon Ballet Theater: 6/26-30 from 5-9pm, Rose Garden Ampitheater
- Washington Park Concert Festival: 7/27-29 from 5-9pm, Rose Garden Ampitheater