Portland Japanese Garden is located in the hills of Portland, Oregon’s iconic Washington Park, directly above the International Rose Test Garden at 611 SW Kingston Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97205
Garden Shuttle Service
The shuttle will be available with limited seating during regular Garden Hours and is available upon request during member-only hours.
For information on accessibility, please visit japanesegarden.org/accessibility.
On-site parking fills up quickly, especially during the summer. Below are some recommendations on alternative transportation.
Avoid Parking Hassles. Come By Public Transit.
Year-round, the Garden is served by TriMet bus #63 which will provide direct service between the International Rose Test Garden/Portland Japanese Garden in Washington Park and Pioneer Courthouse Square daily. Line 63 will leave the Park’s gardens on the hour, every hour between 10 am and 6 pm.
Or you can take the Red or Blue line MAX train to the Washington Park stop (aka, the Zoo) and then take a the Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle to the Garden.
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle
The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle operates daily from 9:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. through September and 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the winter.
Shuttle Route and Stops
- Washington Park MAX Light Rail Station/Oregon Zoo/World Forestry Center
- Vietnam Veterans of Oregon Memorial
- Hoyt Arboretum
- Lewis & Clark Memorial
- Oregon Holocaust Memorial
- Int’l Rose Test Garden/Portland Japanese Garden
- Archery Range
Get directions to the Garden from wherever you are on Google.
From Downtown Portland:
- Take West Burnside for approximately 2.5 miles west toward Washington Park
- Turn left at Tichner Drive and head toward Kingston Avenue
- Turn right on Kingston Avenue and head toward the Garden’s Welcome Center
From U.S. 26 East or West
- Take Exit 72 for Zoo/Forestry Center
- Follow park signs to get to Portland Japanese Garden
Biketown has officially launched inside Washington Park with two stations: one is designated near the Holocaust Memorial at SW Park Place and the other is located on SW Rose Garden Way.