Few aspects of the traditional Japanese garden are as instantly recognizable as the elegant, distinctive contours of a well-maintained Japanese maple. This single-day demonstration includes an in-depth discussion of the various types of maple pruning, as well as specific pruning techniques. Additional time will be spent on shaping and growth regulation. Toward the end of the session, participants will be able to practice what they’ve learned during a short period of hands-on work time. The workshop is led by Portland Japanese Garden staff.
- Event fees are non-refundable and take place rain or shine, so please dress appropriately for the weather.
- Necessary tools, supplies, and printed educational material are provided.
- The course fee includes Garden admission.
- Participants should bring their own lunch.
- Please note that the Garden Workshops involve some physical work. If you wish to participate and have any limitations or concerns, please contact us for information.
- For more info about getting here and parking, please visit japanesegarden.org/parking/
- Please allow ample time for parking and arrive by 8:45 a.m. at the Welcome Center for event check-in.
Portland Japanese Garden’s Maple Pruning Workshops are sponsored by Patterson Nursery Sales and Smith Rock.