As you arrive
- Masks are optional
- We are open 6 days per week: Wednesday – Monday (closed Tuesdays)
- Limited number of timed entry tickets available every 30-minutes during public hours to help reduce capacity.
- Purchase your tickets online prior to your visit at tickets.japanesegarden.org
- Tickets are non-refundable. To request a ticket exchange, click here. Tickets can only be exchanged up to 24 hours prior to the original date and time (no day-of exchanges).
- Member Hours do not require reservations (8:00am-10:00am everyday, except when the Garden is closed)
- Shuttles are available upon request.
- Download the Parking Kitty App to make paying for parking touchless (and so easy!).
Once inside the gate
- The Gift Shop is open from 9:30am – 4:00pm.
- The Umami Café is open with limited capacity and seating indoors and outdoors. Hours are 9:30am-5:00pm. Reservations are recommended and proof of vaccination with photo ID is required.
Inside the Garden
- The Natural Garden is routed one way, as it has narrower paths; in all other areas of the Garden, visitors will be free to wander and choose their own direction as in pre-pandemic times.
- There are benches for sitting, reflecting, and restoring your spirit!
Additional safety measures
- All staff have been fully vaccinated as of June 18, 2021.
- Plexiglass barriers have been installed in positions with more direct interaction with guest (e.g. admissions)
We are here to answer questions, help you navigate, and have a tranquil experience in the beauty of nature.
What are some of the increased safety measures Portland Japanese Garden is taking in light of reopening?
We’ve made a number of changes to our operations in response to COVID-19 to help all our guests enjoy the Garden while still feeling safe. Here are some ways in which we’ve adjusted:
- We have a timed entry every 30-minutes during public hours to help limit lines and capacity inside the Garden.
- Hand sanitizer stations with touchless dispensers will be placed throughout the Cultural Village.
- Proof of vaccination is required to dine at the Umami Café.
How long can I stay?
We welcome you to stay for as long as you wish.
Do members need to make reservations before they visit?
Members do not need to make reservations during the designated Member Hours (8:00am-10:00am, Wed – Mon) The Garden is closed Tuesdays.
During all other hours, members will be asked to make reservations.
Can I make a reservation and purchase tickets over the phone?
We ask that guests please make reservations online at tickets.japanesegarden.org.
What if I’m running late for my reservation?
If you are running late for your reservation, please give us a call at (503) 223-1321.
Do I need to print my pre-purchased ticket or can I show it on my phone?
We will accept both printed and digital forms of tickets. You can skip the line and come straight to the ticket podium to check in.
Can I leave and come back into the Garden using my ticket? Is my ticket good for all day?
Yes, absolutely. However, with our new timed entry process, once you exit the Garden, you may need to wait in line again to enter.
Will there be shuttles?
Yes. Please speak with one of our on-site staff to request a shuttle service and they would be happy to assist you.
Is the Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle running?
Yes! The Explore Washington Park Free Shuttle is in service. For more information on the shuttle, see here.
How do I pay for parking?
We recommend downloading the Parking Kitty app, which will make parking touchless! Portland Japanese Garden’s zone is 400. Don’t forget to check the number of the spot you are parked in, as you will need that information to pay for your parking.
If I use a wheelchair/walker, do I need to follow the one-way path? (Accessibility)
Read more about accessibility and strollers, here.
When will Portland Japanese Garden host events and workshops again?
We are slowly bringing back modified versions of our cultural performances, festivals, and programs. We’ll share these updates in our weekly email.
Closure Impacts to Memberships
At this time, we’re asking our community to continue their memberships and if possible renew memberships early and help support the Garden during this time of lost revenue so we can make sure the garden is maintained: aesthetically, physically and financially.
When we closed we lost our ability to generate 74% of our operating revenue. In order for us to sustain the Garden, membership dues are more essential than ever before.
Regarding Extensions: We know how much our members treasure coming to the Garden and want to be there as a resource for you. Especially over the next year when self-care and serenity will be so important. At this time, we are hoping that people will continue their memberships through the closure in support of the Garden. Thank you.
If you have specific questions about your membership, please email [email protected] It may take a few days for someone to return your message. But we will get back to you.