Maple Pruning Workshop 2023 will be conducted by Sadafumi (Sada) Uchiyama, Chief Curator and Director of International Japanese Garden Training Center, a fourth-generation Japanese gardener from southern Japan. With the Garden as the classroom, participants will receive a maple-focused tour, learn the fundamentals of maple pruning through a lecture, and be able to put their pruning methods and techniques to the test under the guidance of Sada and a staff gardener.
This is a one day event with two date options.
Instructor: Sadafumi (Sada) Uchiyama, Chief Curator of Portland Japanese Garden and Director of International Japanese Garden Training Center
- Check-in 8:45am
- Program Begins 9am
- Program Ends 3pm
Tickets will be limited and there will be a lottery system to provide equal opportunity for participation among members.
Tickets are non-transferrable.
Tickets are non-refundable.
- There will be one submission form for each date, and each submission form will open on the same date. Members are welcome to submit entries to both lotteries but will only be able to attend one workshop. Selected participants will be contacted by July 7th, 2023.
- There are 10 participants per day.
- When entering your submission for the lottery, you will be asked to sign a waiver.
- Participants should bring their own lunch, a reusable drinking cup or water bottle, and of course, sun protection such as a hat and/or sunscreen.
- Please bring a sanitized pruner. If you don’t have one, we will have some to loan, or you can purchase one from our Gift Shop (don’t forget that members receive a 10% discount).
- Printed educational material will be provided.
- Event fees are non-refundable and take place rain or shine, so please dress appropriately for the weather.