On April 2, 2017, the Garden unveiled its $37.5 million Cultural Crossing expansion project. Built upon the organization’s celebrated legacy, this expansion represents the future of Portland Japanese Garden. This step forward honors the beauty and tranquility of the five traditional gardens, and makes room to welcome the hundreds of thousands of guests from around the world who flock to the Garden to experience the essence of nature and spirit of peace. It offers new and exciting opportunities to discover the richness and wisdom of Japanese culture. Cultural Crossing is the vision of the Garden’s leaders, past and present.
Since the 2017 Cultural Crossing expansion, feedback for the improved Portland Japanese Garden has been overwhelmingly positive. For more information on the Cultural Crossing expansion project, see here.
The organization is honored to be recognized by professional awards and accolades from around the world.
- 2020 American Society of Landscape Architects, Award of Excellence
- 2020 American Public Garden Association, Garden Excellence Award
- 2020 American Public Garden Association, Award of Merit (Sadafumi Uchiyama, Portland Japanese Garden Curator)
- 2019 LEED (Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design) Gold Certification Award
- 2019 WA American Society of Landscape Architects, Award of Excellence (only one given)
- 2018 American Council of Engineering Companies of Oregon, Engineering Excellence: Best in Category, Water, Wastewater & Stormwater Systems
- 2018 American Public Garden Association, Program Excellence Award Program Excellence Award
- 2018 Daily Journal of Commerce, Architect of the Year: Portland Japanese Garden Architecture Team
- 2018 Garden Society of Japan Jury Commendation/Exceptional Achievement (Sadafumi Uchiyama, Portland Japanese Garden Curator)
- 2018 WoodWorks: Beauty of Wood Award
- 2017 American Institute of Architects: Portland Honor Award
- 2017 American Society of Landscape Architects, Oregon Design: People’s Choice Award
- 2017 American Society of Landscape Architects, Oregon Design: Honor Award
- 2017 Engineering News Record, Best Projects: Project of the Year Award
- 2017 Engineering News Record, Northwest Best Projects: Best Cultural / Worship
- 2017 Metal Architecture Design, Metal Roofing Award
- 2017 Portland Business Journal, Commercial Real Estate Transformer Award
- 2017 Structural Engineers Association of Excellence in Engineering Award: Jurors’ Favorite
- 2017 Travel Portland, Tourism and Hospitality Industry Award